While wearing a mask is a must, wearing the RIGHT MASK is also very important considering the high levels of mutation of the COVID-19 virus. Most of the people may have adopted the mask culture but only half-heartedly, not recognizing the urgent need of protection from the virus. Fashionable masks are quick to grow on people and have lured the masses to themselves but they completely miss the point of wearing the RIGHT MASK, which is to protect oneself from the virus and not to look trendy or fashionable or just for the sake of following government norms to avoid fines.
The first step while buying a mask is to always remember the reason to wear a mask, safety from the virus, hence a few norms are to be adhered to:
- Always choose masks which have two or more layers of washable, breathable fabric.
- The mask should completely cover your mouth and nose without leaving any openings.
- The mask should have a nose wire to prevent air from leaking out of the top of the mask.
- The mask straps should not be tight on ears and cause bruises.
- Should be comfortable so that it can be worn for longer durations.
People commonly make mistakes while buying masks which visually appeal to them more than their actual protection efficiency against the virus like:
- Buying masks with vinyl designs which make breathing harder.
- Have gimmicking exhalation vents which allow virus particles to escape.
Masks are not to be judged by their looks as it not what they are made for. Masks are not a fashion item and should not be treated like one, their looks are secondary concern and is to be informed to the masses so that people are not to be swayed away by useless single layered designer masks.
Your face mask does not necessarily have to look pretty or be a fashion statement but with that being said if one really wants to make it a fashion statement by matching it with your outfits then one should always keep it in mind that it should compile with the safety recommendations and is protecting others who are around and solving its purpose well.
The most important thing that is to be always kept in mind is that we wear face masks as a gesture of caring for others and when we all wear face masks, we are all safer and we help slow the spread of the virus.